Tierra Resources offers public agencies turn-key approaches to wetland carbon offset credit projects and is responsible for each step in the process that leads to carbon credit revenues. Using our in-house industry experts, we perform the following steps:
- Wetland Restoration Carbon Offset Project Feasibility Studies Working with leading modelers, biologists, ecologists, bio-geochemists, hydrologists, and engineers, Tierra Resources analyzes property parcels, wetland management activities, and wetland restoration potential to predict wetland emissions and sinks and the potential to monetize wetland-carbon offsets. Tierra Resources can conduct a system-wide feasibility assessment for a public agency on a consulting basis.
- Wetland Restoration Carbon Offset Project Management Strategies Working with large landowners and managers, Tierra Resources’ in-house team identifies and helps clients adopt new management or conservation practices that are eligible for carbon finance.
- Project Carbon Registry/Protocol Selection Tierra Resources identifies the optimal carbon registry and protocol that a project should be developed under (e.g., ARB, CAR, ACR, or VCS). If no protocol exists, Tierra Resources can develop a methodology to suit your agency needs.
- Wetland Conservation and Restoration Carbon Offset Project Funding Mechanisms Tierra Resources secures funding to implement the wetland restoration project and fund on-going monitoring.
- Wetland Restoration Carbon Offset Project Plan Development and Submission Tierra Resources develops a wetland restoration project plan that details the restoration activity and the on-going monitoring that will take place, and submits the project plan to the chosen carbon registry.
- Wetland Restoration Carbon Offset Project Third Party Verification Tierra Resources will hire a third-party project verifier once the plan is accepted and registered.
- Wetland Restoration Carbon Offset Project Implementation Tierra Resources manages the implementation of wetland restoration practices leading to the removal of CO2 and other environmental benefits. Tierra Resources continues to monitor the project over time.
- Wetland Restoration Carbon Offset Project Verification Submission to Carbon Registry Wetland carbon sequestration will be monitored over time and periodically verified by a third party certifier, which includes several site visits for measurement. Following each successful verification, carbon credits are issued to the project and can be sold in the carbon market.
- Market and Sell Project Carbon Credits Tierra Resources will market and sell the carbon offsets to provide a funding source for the wetland restoration project.
Potential Wetland Restoration Carbon Offset Methodology Expansion
Tierra Resources has made the decision to limit the focus of the initial wetland restoration carbon offset methodology to the Mississippi Delta in order to start proving the science on the ground through development of wetland restoration projects.
The modular format facilitates expansion, and new modules can be added that will broaden the eligibility to other regions by addressing the causes of wetland loss and wetland restoration techniques in other areas.
Tierra Resources aims to expand the wetland restoration carbon offset methodology to include further quantifications of prevented wetland loss and to be more broadly applicable to coastal wetlands in general, including California’s Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta and other wetlands such as Florida’s Everglades and wetlands in Virginia, Maryland, and the Carolinas.
This wetland restoration carbon offset methodology could eventually be expanded to other critical deltas around the world, such as the Amazon, Congo, Mekong, Niger, Yangtze, and the Ganges, as well as many other smaller wetland areas.